Friday, 22 March 2013

Three Things Young Women In Business Should Know: Don't Undersell Yourself

Three Things Young Women In Business Should Know: Don't Undersell Yourself
The third point to take on board when entering the world of business after graduation is negotiating your salary, and not to be fearful of projecting a negative image because you feel you may have asked too much.

Don't undersell yourself
Women will negotiate for less money when offered the same position as a man for fear of coming off as greedy, according to research by Lisa Barron of the University of California, Irvine. The study shows that women are less comfortable equating a dollar amount with their self-worth. Also, they feel less comfortable promoting their self-interests over others.

Whether you are male or female is regardless. If you are capable to do the job then you deserve the salary to match. Sharon Sanberg stated in her video that when men and women were asked to estimate their grade point average, men overshot their GPA and women guessed below.

Could this be simply women needing to improve their negotiation skills, or do women need to reassess their self-worth?

Guru Love <3

3 comments:

  1. when negotiating your salary do some research beforehand so you have an idea of your market value this will give you better bargaining power

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I know this is kinda off topic however , I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?

    My site addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.

    If you're interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!

    Also visit my web page ... Air Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Unfortunately I can't access your web page to contact you however this is something we would love to join you. Please could you provide me with an email address to contact you on. Thanks

      Guru Love <3

      Delete